Monday, May 8, 2017

May 8--Blue Ridge Parkway

I have to write this post quickly because I have to plan tomorrow's hikes!   As usual I woke up early so climbed 50 floors of stairs in the hotel plus another 4 going to breakfast and stuff.  This stairwell was 4 star, which is really good.  The hotel had 5 stories, which means 4 floors at a time. For some reason I like more because there are fewer repeats to get up to 50.  But I'm sure that only applies up to a certain number.  Also the stairwell was well-ventilated.  Okay, enough about that.  I did 3 hikes.  The first was to Crabtree falls (we're still on the Blue Ridge Parkway).  This was very pretty.  Then at Lynnville Falls, I did 2 hikes to 3 different overlooks to the same falls.   All the hikes were great.  One was particularly steep and technically hard--which made it fun just for that reason.  Total hiking mileage was 6.5, elevation gain was 2000 ft.  It was a fabulous day.

Crabtree Falls (the first hike, which was just lovely):


The crazy steep hike down Lynnville gorge to an obstructed view of Lynnville falls:

The camera doesn't do depth well, so you can't see how steep this was:

or this:

Another view from further up the gorge:


This was the best view of all, though it doesn't show up so well from the camera.  Best view and easiest hike.  But the others were more fun.  I like challenging hikes.

Looking down river:

No comments:

Post a Comment