Wednesday, May 3, 2017

May 2 & 3, backpacking!

I did an overnight backpacking trip in the Smoky Mountains and it was fantastic.  Yesterday my GPS watch logged 5.86 miles and a 3000 ft climb.  Once I got to the top and secured my bed for the night, I took a walk on the ridge. That added about 2 miles and 300 ft.  I stayed at a shelter on the Appalachian Trail (AT).  Today I walked along the ridge for 3.5 miles and then hiked down another trail, for a total of 9 miles and 3000 ft descent.  I found this to be a great challenging strenuous 2-day hike, because of elevation change, and lots of rocks and roots on the narrow, sometimes muddy trail. The weather was perfect and the scenery was beautiful and varied as I climbed through different mountain levels.  It was an A+ hike!  The shelter had plusses and negatives going for it.  I knew what the negatives were ahead of time so I handled it as well as could be expected.  The negatives are sleeping in a 3-walled shelter with 10 other people.  I had two old men sleeping right next to me, and I mean right next to me. These fellows and several others snored, one in particular quite loudly so most of us didn't sleep much.  Several other people slept in tents, so it was quite a crowd, at least 20 people.  It was a bit overwhelming, but I could choose to join in on the conversations or not so I sometimes did and sometimes didn't.  The pluses were seeing what Appalachian Trail "thru-hiker" culture (those who hike the entire AT) is like and having great conversations with one woman who is hiking through by herself.  This is something I've dreamed of doing and she, unfortunately, reassured me that it's a great, great idea and it's not dangerous and she is having a fabulous time.  She is quite an amazing, talented hiker.  I had a hard time keeping up with her just walking to and from the water source and this morning for the short time before we parted directions.  This morning I asked her if last night's stay was typical and she reassured me that it's not.  She, like me, prefers tent camping.  We were at the most popular shelter in the park, maybe on the entire trail.  The hikers are mostly young.  I found myself tiring of their conversations, and observed my judgements of them as well as the middle-aged and older men (in other words, everyone!).   I'm reading the book "The Four Agreements", and was reviewing them all night long while listening to the snorers.  Even that was a good experience though.  So was getting up to go to the bathroom twice, because I was awake anyway and it would pass the time.  The stars were gorgeous!  It was a great experience.  I'm looking forward to a lovely sleep tonight in my hotel, lol!  Here are some pictures:

Anthony Creek near the start of yesterday's hike.  My phone died soon after this so no more pictures going up.  I chose to use my phone as camera but forgot that it can't keep a charge, lol.  Actually it was nice just walking, looking and not snapping pictures.  But I take the pictures for Marilyn and she was sad to her this news.

Pence Field Shelter.  I did bring a phone charger and used it at the top.

 Nice views from the shelter:

They provided a cable-pulley system for hanging our food bags:

The crowd at dinner time:

My hike along the ridge this morning.  It was just beautiful.
The fitbit measured 24,000 steps yesterday and 29,000 today.

No comments:

Post a Comment