Sunday, May 7, 2017

May 7--Blue Ridge Parkway

Today’s plan was to drive the Blue Ridge Parkway.  I wasn’t sure how much hiking I would do, plus I woke up early, so I climbed 75 floors at the hotel.  It was a good stairwell, with windows and good ventilation.  It was only one floor up and down, which is a little more tedious than more.  I’d rate it 4 stars at least.  (yes, I rate hotel stairwells).  As it turned out I got in two nice hikes totaling about 7 miles and 1500 ft elevation gain.  So it was a good walking day.  The weather was beautiful too.

My first hike was to the top of Mt. Pisgah, 3 miles round trip and 750 ft elevation.

It was early spring at these elevations, and only a few azaleas were in bloom.

Lots of nice views from the ridge.


The second hike was at Graveyard fields.

There are two falls here.  This is the lower:

I didn't take a picture of the upper falls.  It wasn't that dramatic, but it was a fun hike through roots, rocks, mud, and a 750 ft climb.  


No comments:

Post a Comment