Saturday, May 6, 2017

May 6

Addictions are funny.  It's time to do my stairs, but today I'm hoping to do a lot of climbing on my hike so I'm forcing myself not to climb the stairs.  So I've been lying in bed thinking about hiking and walking.   I am so intrigued by the Appalachian Trail and the people that do it.  I bought a few books on it and have been reading them.  I'm not saying I want to do it yet.  There is one big obstacle--Marilyn would not like me being away for 6 months.  and another--I don't know if I could handle the social aspects.  It's not exactly a solitary experience.  and of course, plenty more obstacles beyond that.  But it can still inspire me to make big changes in my daily life.  Suddenly, walking 8 miles to and from the grocery store every day doesn't sound crazy anymore.  and I've been wanting to ride my bike instead of use the car as transportation for years, but lately I let myself get behind schedule and use the car because it's faster, or because it's dark or cold or rainy.  I can plan better around my walking and biking--that's half the fun--that's certainly the case for backpacking.  These would be much better for the environment than walking the AT.  However, I wouldn't be in the mountains.  And it might not be crazy enough---so I could think of crazier things.   And...it would be training for the AT.  I'm not ruling it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment