Friday, June 9, 2017

June 9--Rocky Mountain National Park

I've actually never been to this park before, with the exception of a work meeting where we had to listen to talks from 8 am to 10 pm, and I never left the conference center.  That was awful.  I've backpacked and hiked in the Rockies long ago, but never in the national park.  So these hikes are all new to me.  Today was one of the most fun days ever.  I started out with a hike up to Bierstadt Lake.  It climbs up a mountain side with a view of the valley below and mountains across the way.  Then you get to the lake, which has another beautiful view of the mountains.  The hike was 4 miles total with 500 ft elevation gain.

Then we walked around Sprague Lake again, about 1 mile.

Then we walked to "the pool" on the Fern Lake trail.  It was about a 4 mile hike, with only a 200 ft overall elevation increase.  The GPS recorded 800 ft gain.   I guess that was from all the ups and downs along the way, but I wonder if it over-estimates them.

Then it was so beautiful, we hung around the Cub Lake trailhead, first picnicking and then walking around there and eventually walking on the trail because it was so fun.  I walked about 2 miles.

None of these hikes were strenuous, but they totaled about 10 miles and my fitbit recorded over 34000 steps.  It was very fun to walk in my vibram toe shoes all day.  I walked in snow and mud and took lots of dips in the Thompson River and various creek crossings.  At Bierstadt Lake, walking along the trail along the lake, there is one part that is a carpet of pine needles on soft earth.  That felt really good!  I didn't want that to end.

The view of the valley below and mountains on the Bierstadt trail.
 The was still lots of snow around the lake.
 Bierstadt Lake
 on the way down, the view of Sprague Lake in the distance.
 Playing in the water at Sprague Lake.  The water everywhere was very cold so I couldn't stay in for too long!
 Playing in the water in the Big Thompson River on the Fern Lake trail.
 Along the Cub Lake Trail, there were lots of elk sightings.  There are a bunch in this picture.


No comments:

Post a Comment