Monday, June 5, 2017

June 5--Black Hills and western Nebraska

Great bike ride this morning, though not long enough.  8 miles on the southern end of the Mickelson trail.  I learned two useful things about this trail:  1) bring tire repair equipment.  Even though I didn't suffer a flat tire, I road in remote regions without roads or cell coverage, and I was a little nervous about the prospect of getting a flat.  Bring the equipment next time and enjoy the ride.   2) I prefer going uphill on this trail.  I hear and see more---birds, crickets, and the scenery.   Going downhill is fun, but it's a bit jarring and bumpy, and I use my sense of sight to examine the trail to find the least slippery parts, so I miss out on the scenery.  I road downhill yesterday and uphill today, and enjoyed today much more.

This afternoon, despite driving 300 miles, I managed to walk 1.5 miles at Scotts Bluff, and 1.5 miles at Wildcat Hills State Park in Nebraska.  Those were enjoyable and had some elevation change.  We  got in very late at our hotel!

Here are some pictures from the morning ride...



And the afternoon walk in Wildcat Hills.  There are only 3.5 miles worth of trails here but for some reason I really enjoy this place, maybe because it defies my expectations of Nebraska.  Or because it's peaceful and away from the crowds.







2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great day. Are you still using the electric cooler on road trips? -kristi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no, those things kept breaking. we just use a regular ice chest and get ice in the hotels. works fine.

      Delete